To fully manage, treat and improve oral health problems, restorative dentistry is often necessary. Dentists use restorative techniques to restore the functionality and appearance of a patient’s teeth using veneers, dental crowns, caps, bridges and full or partial dentures. Our dentists strive to preserve as many of your natural teeth as possible while fixing and replacing anything that needs it.
If large gaps are left in the mouth, these spaces become vulnerable to bacteria caused by plaque. This bacteria can settle in and cause tooth decay and cavities.
Beyond this, these empty spaces will add stress to the remaining teeth, causing them to shift out of alignment. This can eventually result in severe wear on the remaining teeth and can cause a collapsed bite.
Benefits of Restorative Dentistry
Our Calgary-based dentists have many tools which help improve your oral health and your appearance through restorative dentistry. There are several direct benefits when opting for these restorative procedures.
- Conservation: Restorative dentistry procedures give your dental team the ability to preserve as much of the natural tooth as possible. They can often remove the decay and compromised tooth structure while ensuring the integrity of your natural tooth. One important facet of good restorative dentistry is the conservation of the natural teeth.
- Functionality: Some options in restorative dentistry like dental bridges and crowns can be used to restore functions that have been hampered or lost. For example, when a bite collapses, many people lose their ability to speak properly. Dental bridges and crowns can often restore this ability.
- Oral Health Improvements: Teeth that are broken and decayed do not work like they are supposed to, and they are difficult to clean properly. Having even one worn-down tooth in your mouth can lead to a cascade of dental troubles. Restorative dentistry returns your teeth to their healthy state and greatly improves oral health
- Appearance: If you have been missing teeth or suffering from extreme decay, you have likely not been smiling much. An unhealthy-looking smile can be embarrassing, and it might make you self-conscious. Restorative dentistry can give you your smile and your confidence back
Options for Restorative Dentistry in Calgary
Your dental team will examine your overall oral health and determine what path of restorative dentistry is best for you. Some services they might recommend include the following.
- Crowns: One option for repairing teeth that are chipped or cracked is a crown. This piece of dental hardware is matched to your natural tooth color and cemented in place over the worn-out natural tooth
- Implants: Implants are a great option for restoring functionality and appearance of missing teeth. A titanium post is embedded in the jawbone to act as the root, and a dental crown is attached to the post
- Bridge: When there are large gaps between healthy natural teeth, a bridge is often the best treatment. Artificial teeth will be fitted into the space where teeth are missing and attached to the adjacent teeth
- Dentures: Depending on your needs, you might require full or partial dentures. Your dental team will help determine which option is best suited to you